I still remembered 3 months ago when I was talking to Miggy about how CrossfitMNL can help me run better and stronger and aim for a new PR in a 21K run for adidas KOTR 2011, I was a bit skeptic at first but eventually jumped into the box, and ever since i became addicted to Crossfit, see my previous article about it here.
I admit, after I started to train with CrossfitMNL my running mileage significantly decreased, my few times a week run became once or twice a week, what I did was to try to squeeze in some 10K races in-between my trainings but nothing close to the 21K mark. So come 2 weeks before race day, i feel a certain sense of panic!
But I’m here now, writing this, pain free with a new medal, proud to have set a new PR for my 21K run at 2:38 shaving off 3 mins from my first 21K last March 2011
And this is how I believe I was able to achieve this:
1. I got stronger leg and core muscles now! It helped me endure the lower body muscle strain I got running for more than 2 hours.
– In CrossfitMNL we do a LLLLOOOTTT of LEG exercises, squats, jumps, burpees, before I was the type that hates doing leg exercises but now my legs are stonger then ever!
– We also do a lot of Core and AB exercises like medicine ball sit ups, Russian Twists, Toes to Bar and V pull ups that attributed to my stronger core
2. A Stronger Heart – For 3 months, We have been training at a very high intensity, almost always reaching and working out at our peak heart rate every time!
Like I mentioned, I was a bit terrified because of my lack of mileage so, we maintained a steady pace of 7:30/km most of the time, I was quite amazed that my heart rate maintained at Zone 3-4 even at the latter part of the course. Not only that, we where able to push our pace to 6:40/km for the last kilometer for a strong finish.
3. Great Friends! – People that runs together stays together!
It’s a joy to have paced with friends, running while catching up on some stories and throwing a little bit of jokes in between, it made running the 2 and a half hours not bearable, but enjoyable!
Well, that’s my very short re-cap of the race, thanks for everyone that dropped by the booth for some chit-chat and pictures! See some of the pictures here:
Oh btw, I’ll still continue training with CrossfitMNL, so if you do decide to try it out as well, visit the official website at www.crossfitmnl.com and schedule yourself a trial for only P200, they have recently opened a Makati/Fort branch (will post exact address soon) as well! So Hope to see you in the Box!