Anyone who’s serious about their fitness regimen knows that recovery is not something to neglect in order to get those real gains.
After a tough workout, it’s important to get some food in your belly not just to refill that empty pit. A post-workout recovery meal is just as part of the training as the heavy lifting and sprints are, and should thus be carefully considered. This is because the goal of your post-workout meal is to replenish your body with the nutrients that help your muscle tissues repair themselves.
But nutrition science aside, we believe that recovery food should be just as nutritious as it is indulgent. Why? Well, because you worked hard on the rack, and you should ‘treat yo’ self’ to some food that is enjoyable to eat…or in this case, drink.
The super drink golden milk
Golden milk is a perfect recovery drink because of its anti-inflammatory and antioxidant benefits. The main ingredient, turmeric is widely used in Ayurvedic medicine because of its supposed healing properties. But what really makes this a super drink is the fact that both ginger and cinnamon are both anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial too!
Curious to try this super drink? Check our recipe for it below:
Serving size: 2 glasses
Prep time: 5 minutes
Equipment needed: pot, stove, and strainer
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 2 teaspoons turmeric powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 pinch crushed black peppercorns
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Sweetener of your choice
- Mix and toast the ginger and ground up spices in a pot.
- Add the almond and coconut milk in the mixture.
- Mix in the vanilla extract and sweetener of your choice and leave it to simmer on low heat for 5 minutes.
- Strain the mixture, pour into a cup, and enjoy!
- For serving it cold: Allow it to cold down to room temperature and add ice.
Bonus tip: Add a teaspoon of Maca or Reishi powder for the added immunity and recovery boost.
So how about it? Will you be trying this recipe out soon? Share it with the Pinoy Fitness Community when you do! We’d love to hear your feedback!