Discovery Channel, one of the world’s leading television networks devoted to creating high-quality non-fiction programming, is holding R.A.C.E.: Run And Climb for the Environment, a vertical marathon, on November 27, 2010.
Discovery Channel RUN BGC Vertical Marathon
November 27, 2010
Bonifacio E- Services Building
Half-century (50 floors) or Century (100 floors)
Note: Runners opting for the century should have personal best in the 10K of sub-40:00 for the men and sub-50:00 for the women
Held in partnership with the Fort Bonifacio Global City, R.A.C.E.: Run And Climb for the Environment seeks to cultivate awareness on and reverse the effects of global warming through energy conservation. The vertical marathon encourages Filipinos to adopt an energy-efficient lifestyle, such as making use of stairs whenever possible. Proceeds of the marathon will be donated to Gawad Kalinga, in support of their environmental arm, Green Kalinga and WWF.
It starts with a road run followed by ramp running (on a 30- to 35-degree incline) then stair climbing and running down the stairs to be concluded with another road running. This combination of different ways of running from other kinds of stair climbing or vertical runs (viz., run up, run up and down, running uphill before a run up, road run before run up alone or with run down) becoming popular in different parts of the world.
Download Registration Form and Waiver Here:
1. After the horn is blown, runners starting at Rizal Drive (the street fronting the Bonifacio e-Services Building) turn right to 3rd Street and then turn left to enter the building from the parking entrance up to the 1st floor ramp. (distance: 160 meters)
2. Runners will run up to the 9th floor using the ramp throughout. (distance: 1,090 meters) At the 9th floor they proceed to the stairwell and negotiate the stairs up to 25th floor where their split times are taken before they go in the opposite stairwell. (distance: 300 steps + 37 meters)
3. Overtaking shall be on the right side when going up the stairs.
4. Runners will run down 25 floors (distance: 407 steps) and go out to the lobby, then get out of the building (distance:15 meters)
5. At the street fronting the building (Rizal Drive), runners turn right to 30th Street and upon reaching the first corner, turn left to Third Street and run a stretch of the Third Avenue and turn left for the finish.(distance: 300 meters)
6. Overtaking shall be on the left side when going down the stairs.
7. FOR SAFETY PURPOSES: NO LIQUID SHALL BE ALLOWED INSIDE THE STAIRWELL. THE WATER STATIONS WILL BE LOCATED AT THE START AND FINISH AREAS ONLY. However, the Century runners may take water at the corner of the Rizal Drive and 3rd Street going into their second half of the run.
8. There will be three medical stations: at 1) 9th floor, 2) 25th floor and 3) finish area. There will be two ambulances: at 1) 9th floor and 2) opposite side of the entrance to the parking area of the Bonifacio e-Services Building.
9. Runners’ times will be flashed at the finish. But the top 3 winners in both men’s and women’s divisions of the half-century and century run will be officially declared only after the last runner has crossed the finish line.
10. From time to time, the progressive ranking of the runners (the top three runners after the first heat and the subsequent heat) shall be announced.
11. Finisher’s medal and other giveaways can be picked up near the stage at the parking lot in front of the building.
Participants may register through www.verticalmarathon.runningmate.ph. Entry Fee of Php 600.00 until November 13, 2010 and Php 800.00 from November 14-19, 2010. Deadline of registration is on November 19, 2010.
Runners must present registration confirmation and Entry Fee deposit slip upon collection of Race Kits on November 20-21, 2010 at Bonifacio High Street.